Friday, January 7, 2011

Return from hiatus

I took a hiatus from blogging over the holidays.  We hosted three different dinners here, attended another one with Michael’s family and spent the night in St. Joseph for New Year‘s Eve.  Needless to say, we were busy.   I hadn’t realized how crazy busy I was until it was over, and I just wanted to lay on the couch for days.

I’ve always felt a little sadness after the holidays are over.  It’s such a let down.  You spend months preparing: shopping, baking cookies, planning meals, decorating, wrapping, etc., then it’s all over in a few days.  At least this year we spread the cheer out a little more than usual.  We were so lucky to have my brother and his fiancé here for two nights, one before and one after Christmas.  The boys loved having they “Uncle Phil,” here to play with them.

As usual, the boys got more toys, books and “stuff,” than we thought possible.  I keep forgetting that everyone buys gifts for them, even if we don’t exchange gifts.  They are the only kids on both sides of the family, so there ya go.  A few days after Christmas I secretly purged the playroom and toy boxes of :
 Baby toys
Junky toys from Happy Meals, etc.
Anything that makes annoying noises or tends to go off without warning

We still have a plethora of toys.  And Caleb’s birthday is only two weeks away!  (to those of you who may be coming to his party, think “books.”)

In other news, we may have finally gotten over the last potty training impediment!  Caleb had a really rough time right around Christmas.  He was having multiple accidents daily and just basically not going potty at all.  I had finally had enough and had a mini-breakdown over it on the day after Christmas.  I just felt like he was slapping me in the face every time he chose to poop in his pants instead of going to the bathroom.  I had a good cry, then had a little talk with him.  He could see how upset I was, and I think he decided to really try hard.  He managed an entire week without a single accident after that!  So, as promised, he got a fish on Monday.  His name is Goldie.  J

In another completely predictable move, we have again decided to “Get Healthy,” in the New Year.  So far, the kids and I have taken a few walks around the neighborhood and I’ve been preparing healthier snacks.  I really need to get my but in gear though, and start using my elliptical.  Baby steps.

Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment